Thursday 19 February 2009

Another "what have I been up to?" post....

Hey all,

Again, apologies for lack of blogging. I have the best intentions, but have been rushed off my feet with....elections!!

So, what have I been doing?

- Elections - I have led the officer team on doing lecture shouts and doorknocking to publicise both the fact they can stand and also that the elections will be happening in a few weeks. This is something that most of us who were candidates last year said we would find useful. I have also run candidate meetings for anyone who was interested in standing so they could ask questions about the job to current officers, and have also advertised on facebook and other networks we have. I also had loads of help from the non-sabbs who have been getting involved in getting people to stand for their role - because as I say all along, relevance works! We recieved 36 nominations, and many of the non sabb positions are contested, which is something that hasn't happened in quite a few years! We reopened nominations for DSO and SSO - I am pleased to say that we recieved two for SSO, but not so pleased to say we recieved none for DSO.....
Since nominations have closed, I have been involved in candidate training, dealing with other issues that arise and sorting things for the upcoming weeks. Voting is 9th-13th March.

-I've finally completed the Sound Impact award evidence along with Pippa (EEO) and we will now be able to turn our attention to other environmental projects...

-GC review hasn't been forgotten about - I just felt that the result could be something that the organisation really needed to be ready for and have asked people to prepare accordingly. Will keep you updated...

-I've been to several uni meetings, including University Council and the Joint Safety Advisory Committee (where we talk about safety on campus!).

-I took part in the halls fees campaign. Amazing!

-Other Guild committess have taken place, like student groups committee and health and safety committee, both of which I sit on. I like student groups committee because you know about all the new societies - I am particularly excited about benchball!

-I met Gordon Brown at Downing st!

-I went to a meeting of the National Postgraduate Council (NPC) to discuss their future in relation to the NUS reforms. It was interesting to say the least - I hope that the members of the NPC will do the sensible thing and merge with the NUS as it will be far better for all PGs.

And much much more! If you have any questions please email h.lazell@guild.bham.ac.uk

No comments: