Friday 27 February 2009

Your View


When you elected me last March, one of my manifesto promises was based on research - i.e. finding out more about our members. Because it struck me, as a "normal" student, and is commented on by the Guild every year, that we don't have any conclusive information on what our students actually want from the Guild.

I'm sure many of you reading this think you know what students want - but I'd argue that the best way to find them out is to ask them themselves - and also give them a reason to do so. My target was to ask 3000 students, and also make sure they were representative of the student body.

In January we held focus groups to get qualitative data - and these groups focused on different groups of people, such as postgrads, international students, mature students, med students, and of course, guild councillors - as well as undergrad students.

We are now doing the your view survey, which I invite you to fill out on www.guildofstudents.com. By filling it out to win £1000. I know this attracted some controversy at the last Guild Council, but as always, I'd say come and speak to us before getting in a stress - we aren't here to waste money or for any negative reason - but to help students. Not everyone cares about the Guild as passionately as some people do, and as a consequence, need a good incentive to fill in this survey. And as I set the target at 3000 students, it needed to be VERY good. And although it seems a lot, the net returns will be much greater for students.

And if you voted for me, but didn't like the idea of research or my target of 3000, why did you vote for me?!

2 comments:

Hannah Lazell said...

Hey
Sorry to anyone who commented, I pressed the wrong button when I selected them and pushed reject by accident :( sorry.

As for the question about incentives and the NSS - basically the university have the NSS to push and also their own SSS as well. We asked them for access to email lists about this survey but they were not keen to co-operate as they have their own surveys to promote. We were given very limited access to email bases and as we want the survey to be as representative as possible, we had to offer an incentive that everyone would want (e.g. xobxes/wii's etc have been offered in the past but not everyone wants one of them!) and it needs to be a good enough incentive.

Glad to hear someone exercised their democratic right and voted for RON - remember you have the option in all elections this year!

As for the person who asked why I hadn't accepted the posts yet - here is why:
I wrote the blog at 4pm on Friday afternoon. I went home at 5pm. Comments were left sometime in the evening. It was then the weekend. Last time I checked I was entitled to some free time. I then recieved another comment at 11am this morning - actually meaning you'd given me 3 working hours, alongside all the other things I'm doing (see other blog post). Its now 7.30pm and this is the first chance I have had all day to log into the blog and take the time to reply to the comments. I sincerely apologise for having a weekend though.

Anonymous said...

the question was more based around the fact that the uni gets a 50% response rate for the NSS without any sort of incentive

do you not think this is achieveble Guild-wise?